Instagram

Thursday, December 3, 2009

The nostalgia

12 years ago I was about 10 years old; young, innocent and carefree.
Things were blissfully simpler and the most worrisome problem was my little sister getting a bigger share of chocolates and sweets because she was “just a baby”.
The 6 year old rascal was my arch enemy.
The pinnacle of humiliation was my own sister calling me by name without a trace of respect.
The thing that shortened my 8-hour sleep to 7-hours was the frightening possibility of getting 9 out of 10 marks in my Kannada dictation.
I was a content soul and ignorance was my prerogative.
The most delightful idea of fun was playing hopscotch with all the neighbourhood girls who were more or less of my age. It meant I could leave my cheat of a sister at home and not worry about her going to Mother bawling, when I don’t let her have her way in hopscotch.
I used to experience a feeling of warm humility when those girls looked up to me to take any decisions and solve any complicated problem that we faced regarding a particular hopscotch rule.
My heart used to soar with joy whenever I realised we were not getting on the city bus to the boring market but the express one that would take us to Mangalore, the enormous city of wonders.
I adored the sly smile on Father’s face when this trick of his worked every time before we got on that express bus.
I used to do my chores with great enthusiasm when guests were to come over. With great effort and concentration I used to make myself presentable for the guests and wait for their arrival with barely contained excitement.
On my 10th birthday I glided around in my new dress proudly showing it off to the monotonous crowd of the apparently awestruck students in uniforms. Wearing “colour dress” on your birthday was an accepted rule then.
Whenever I fell and scraped my knees badly, it was heartening to see almost all of my classmates running around to get cotton, gauze and Dettol, even when I knew what would follow were a couple of painful stings.
The bitterest fights were over getting window seat in the school van.
The momentous day was when Mother told me she had a baby in her tummy and soon I’d have a tiny baby brother or sister.
The most mind boggling challenge was choosing a name when, eventually, my little baby sister was born.
The biggest dilemma I faced was when I was dying to hold her, yet didn’t want to; afraid I would hurt her soft fragile body.
I first felt cheap thrill when Mother admonished my rogue sister one day, to be more considerate towards our little sister as she was “just a baby”!

4 comments:

  1. "The thing that shortened my 8-hour sleep to 7-hours was the frightening possibility of getting 9 out of 10 marks in my Kannada dictation."
    LMAO!!
    Naaaiiiiccee!!
    I like the colour combinations in your blog.
    I enjoyed reading this post.
    =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) nice read. Those really were the days. and now its the end of Engg; the fun years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha..does fassu know u called her rogue.....hahha....good one

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol.. thanx all... it was an endearing experience to write this one.
    @liza: fassu just pretends to not remember that phase of her life... :P

    ReplyDelete